The following questions are examples of what one can ask to become an informed data logger consumer. Data loggers are tools to help safeguard vaccines. Their correct and consistent use depends on how well clinic staff know about them, how they work, and how to use them.
Which of your products meet all the following requirements for data logger use in a vaccine storage unit?
- Be accurate within +/-1°F (+/-0.5°C);
- Have a visual or audible alarm for out-of-range temperatures;
- Have a low battery indicator;
- Have memory storage of at least 4,000 readings;
- Display current, minimum, and maximum temperatures;
- Have a user-programmable logging interval (or reading rate);
- Have a valid Certificate of Traceability and Calibration Testing, also known as a Report of Calibration; and
- Have a buffered temperature probe immersed in one of the following: a vial filled with liquid (e.g. glycol, ethanol, glycerin); a vial filled with loose media (e.g. sand, glass beads); or a solid block of material (e.g. Teflon®, aluminum).
Questions about training
- Do you have training for your customers on how to set up and use the data logger?
- What type of training and/or technical support do you offer?
- Is there a cost for that training and/or technical support?
- How can clinic staff access the training resources/materials, etc.?
Questions about calibration services
- Does the data logger come with a NIST-traceable certificate of calibration?
- Can the logger be recalibrated?
- What is the cost of a NIST-traceable certificate of calibration?
- As a vendor, do you provide recalibration services?
- What will be the cost of recalibration for the data logger?
- Is the certificate of calibration from a lab that follows ISO/IEC 17025 standards?
- What is the manufacturer’s recommended calibration cycle? 1 year? 2 years?
Questions about logger use
- Will my device be ready to use out of the box or will it need accessories?
- Does the device require software to set the temperature alarm settings and/or read temperature recordings?
- Does the device require software to set the recording interval?
- What kind of alerts does the device have when alarms are triggered?
- Is the device designed for use in a refrigerator or freezer?
- What accessories are included with the device?
- What accessories will I need to start using the data logger out of the box?
- How much does each accessory cost?
- Is a buffered probe an accessory or is it included with the device?
- Does the device require batteries or an AC adapter?
- What cloud-based service plans do you offer for email/text/voice mail temperature alerts with this device/temperature alert system?
Questions about product performance warranty
- What warranty is there for performance of the device?
- Are there any maintenance contracts?
- What is your product return policy?
Questions about support services
- What technical support services do you provide to customers?
- What hours are these available?
- Do you provide device installation assistance?
- What service plans do you offer?
- What do those service plans cost?
- Is it a monthly service fee? Annual?
- May we have sample certificates of calibration or temperature data reports to see what information they include?
- May we have the names of other clinics that use your product so I may contact them about their experience?